Monday, November 22, 2010

How do I change the default OS when I'm duel booting into Vista and Windows 7?

I run Vista and installed Windows 7 on a separate drive. At that point my PC started booting into Windows 7 by default, if I wanted to boot into Vista I had to tell the PC.



I've now removed Win 7 but the duel boot default still tries to boot into the non existent Win 7 by default. How do I change this so it boots automatically into Vista again?



Thanks for your help!How do I change the default OS when I'm duel booting into Vista and Windows 7?
Start Vista

Open the Start menu and select ';Run';

Type in: msconfig

Will open a configuration window

Go to the ';boot.ini'; tab of the window

You will see the file that controls the default OS

There is a button that says ';Check all Boot Paths';

Running that will tell Vista to check the boot.ini to be sure all the paths on the menu are correct and working

When it finds that the Windows 7 is no longer there it will change the default to Vista for youHow do I change the default OS when I'm duel booting into Vista and Windows 7?
There is a File on your C drive called boot.ini



it looks like



[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partiti?br>
[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WI?Windows XP Professional'; /noexecute=optin /fastdetect





where default= should be your vista part.



If you have win 7 info still in this file it can be removed and you need to put the other os in as default.
start%26gt;right click computer%26gt;properties

Click Advanced System Settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

Under System startup, in the Default operating system list, click the operating system that you want to use when you turn on or restart your computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment