Tuesday, September 13, 2011

On an XP OS, how do I change an administrative password if I have forgotten it?

I changed my administrative password a while back, and can't for the life of me get it to open up for me. How can I change it if I can't get in to do it. This is not the Supervisory password, but the administrative/user password.On an XP OS, how do I change an administrative password if I have forgotten it?
go to the black screen of windows when you are starting windows, when you see the windows logo and the f2 and f12 set up screen, quickly press f8, hold down the f8 key until you have opened the blue screen and look there for administrator passwords and read carefully. remeber to look for the safe mode option and hit enter safe mode. the first option at the top is the right one. good luck. I had the same problem and I got real live chat supporrt to help me through DELL because I bought my pc there. this is what they had me do and it works great! best thing to do really is get assistance from a live person. sometimes remote assistance is the best option if you trust the person who is accessing your pc. if you bought your pc at a certain store or factory, they should have free supporrt for you. check your start up page for the programs that your pc manufact...installed and go to help or support good luck!On an XP OS, how do I change an administrative password if I have forgotten it?
You can use ERD Commander from winternals.com
ha ha i dont know how to call the computer people or go to bestbuy and talk to their geek squad people
If you have another Administrator Account then you can change it with that. If you have made this account during the Initial Setup Process when you purchased the computer and started it up and it is Windows XP Home Edition, you will be able to go to the Administrator account that is hidden, and you can access this account by restarting your computer in Safe Mode with F8.
Call microsoft



(800) MICROSOFT (642-7676)
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub00
create a new admin account, then modify your original account.
Go into your control panel Click on User acct. Click on User acct. again. Click on Administrator. Click on change password. Type in new information.
Restart in the same mode.

* If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power

* Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a ';keyboard error'; message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.

* Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.

* Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.



Then you can go into the user accounts in the control panel, and then creat a new password for the administrator. Then restart the computer and you will be good to go with your new password.

No comments:

Post a Comment