Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Can suggestion with my Pentium 3 notebook?

Hi. I have a Pentium 3 notebook running on 800MHZ, 20GB, 512 MB RAM and Windows ME.



I have difficulty selling it and can't afford at the moment to upgrade it to XP version.



Any suggestion what i could do with it effectively?



i do have in mind of using it for web design purposes but i am not too sure it will fix the current version of IE, Firefox, netscape and Opera browser) and webdesign freeware. Any views on this?



I am not sure if it could support wireless internet access, if yes, how, so i can have free access at the mac donald outlet near my house.



Or should i change the OS to a linux. Ang free linux os to recommend, is red hat free and a top choice?



tks for your patience and time for my question.Can suggestion with my Pentium 3 notebook?
if you don't know what you are doing... don't go to linux! you won't be able to sell it for much money... pentium 3 is getting to be outdated. to get online with wireless.... (assuming you don't have an inbuilt wireless adapter)... buy a wireless adapter... tigerdirect.com has cheap ones.... search for wireless adaptersCan suggestion with my Pentium 3 notebook?
800 MHz P-III really isn't fast enough to run XP. If you still have the original version of Windows and word processing software it would be a good machine to take notes in class.
You can find XP home on ebay for cheap, then shop for a bluetooth.
http://www.ubuntu.com for free LINUX.



I would install and learn how to use LINUX.
Ubunto and SuSe are good linux bets.



Or, befriend your local computer geek, and see if they've got a spare copy of Windows 2000.
you could give it to me! It's faster than anything I have.



iamrlk@yahoo.com
your notebook is worth to keep..are you thinking of what it might bring money for your notebook...well, there's alot of things you can do...think boy...whatever your forte bring it up...use it....linux is a good os but, there are differences from windows os...you still have to read about linux before using it...
I built the same computer out of spare parts on a dell motherboard. It's fast as hell. I'm running xp pro on it. there is nothing im unable to do with it. I run photoshop and graphic design software. Or watch Dvd movies. I can't do both but no problem. I have a wireless card and cable modem. You just need to tweek your system and get xp or wait for vista. If you had a 400mhz. Then you would be hurting. Windows me sucks and runs SLOW. Dont up grade, reformat and install a new os. It will be like a new computer.
Let me think. You want to sell an old laptop, in hopes to raise money to buy something better. I fear that an old laptop may be worth $200 TOPS. So in buying a $800 replacement would be a $600 difference.



I actually recommend getting Windows 2000 for that computer. Here's why. You have the speed and RAM for WIndows 2000, and it is a more advanced system then Windows ME. It would work well with FireFox, Opera and other browsers. It could take just about any web developer. You would only be limited to Windows Media Player 9 (not being able to install 10 or 11).



You would have to get Windows 2000 SP4. Even before that, you need Internet Explorer 6 with SP1. Yes, these are downloads from the Microsoft website for FREE.



Windows 2000 Professional would be modestly priced. Windows XP would work, but it would be a bit slow. There is way to much to learn to use LINUX.



It is hard to say if the local restaurant is close enough to you to work. If you can see it through a window, then the signal might be OK. You would be buying a wireless adapter with a bit of High Hopes. So maybe you should get it from STAPLES with the understanding that if it does not work, you can take it back. (they offer a 14 day money back deal). Consider the PC Card type if you have an empty slot. USB ports on your computer might be in short supply.
It is more than twice spec of my Linux laptop, keep it running, I second the Ubuntu suggestion especially it also gone Live/Installer hybrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment