Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How do I change my priority boot OS from BIOS?

I have Windows 7 installed on my C drive and I just installed xp on my D drive. When I attempt to boot to my C drive two options appear that say Windows XP prof. And Windows XP prof. But no option to boot to Windows 7. If it helps xp is installed on an IDE drive while 7 is SATA. Does the IDE being master cause any difference? And why can I not boot to 7? Or atleast how do change the boot priority of the OS's cause the drives are already prioritized?How do I change my priority boot OS from BIOS?
Yes, the IDE being the Master drive would make a difference.

It will only boot from the primary boot device (which in this case is the IDE drive) unless there isn't any bootable material on the first drive.



To change the boot order you need to boot into the BIOS and set the SATA drive to be the primary/master drive with your IDE drive as the secondary drive.



The BIOS is different (to some small degree) from one computer to the other...

I run two hard drives like you (one with Linux; one with XP Pro), you have to switch the boot order EVERY time you wish to switch from one drive to the other.



For me I click on the BIOS icon (My Asus mobo has an ';Express Gate'; with a BIOS icon) or press F8 when I reach the first boot screen. From there I navigate to the ';Boot'; tab and go into the boot order. From there I simply switch the order around, hit ';esc'; and hit ';F10'; to save the changes.



You'll have to go through a similar process.
  • website host
  • How to get bed comforter into duvet cover
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment