Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How can I change the drive that my OS is on?

My OS is on a small hard drive that has filled up and I want to put it all on my 1 T external instead. How can I? Drag and drop everything?How can I change the drive that my OS is on?
your question is a bit vague, no you do not drag and drop... to effectively answer this question, will need to know what OS your talking about, you will probably need to make a fresh install if the OS on the new drive, or you might be able to keep the OS where it is and just use the external for storage.How can I change the drive that my OS is on?
This is an easy one. You cannot make your external drive bootable and still reliably use your machine. Most software does not support the of external drives as primary.



You may be able to swap drives.



If your external and internal drives use the same interface than you can swap them and reimage to the 1TB drive.



All you need is some software and a USB drive large enough to hold your current HD.



Get a copy of this free software;

http://selfimage.excelcia.org/



At a high level you need to;

- Create the image of your drive on the USB drive.

- Install the new HD in your machine.

- Copy the image to the HD.



You usually do this with a bootable CD that has the selfimage tool on it.



Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment