Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What are the system requirements for Linux? + ease of use?

I have a laptop that is the following:

256mb RAM

Pent 3

9gb HD

IBM thinkpad a21m

Windows 2000 installed on it



1. Is this enough?



2. How long will it take to boot up?



3. I don't have admin access on my pc - can I still install OVER

windows 2000?



4. I have never used linux - how easy is it? I only intend to use it for internet, chat.



5. Is Ubuntu for me?



6. Am I missing anything?



7. Will a netgear card work with it? Or will I need to run a wire?



8. The resolution is really really low - so low it is almost unworkable with. Will the new OS change that or does it have to do with the hardware?



I am sure I will have more questions, will post later :)



ThanksWhat are the system requirements for Linux? + ease of use?
http://www.ubuntu.com.



It is as easy or easier than windows. You do have a limit of software that can be run but that is changing. Linux, unlike windows, is not Bloatware and runs with minimal resources. I had linux loaded on a PII with 256 mb ram and 20gb drive.....takes about 1 minute or so to load......get more ram and things will move MUCH faster.



Also, you can get ';Wine'; which is a package that will allow you to run windows applications under the Linux OS.



Go ahead......plenty of help on online forums and newsgroups and on their site!



Linux is not for the geeks anymore!What are the system requirements for Linux? + ease of use?
Linux will work great on that box. Boot time is very close to the same. Ubuntu is a great system, but Mepis has taken it a step further in that it looks and feels very much like windows, but it's very stable (no blue screen of death). don't get viruses yet. many, many programs for linux and they cost nothing, now or ever. Open Office.org is a very close program to Microsoft Office and it comes with Mepis, again for free. Try it I use Simply Mepis 6.5 and love it. I have been a Linux user for 3 years and I don't miss Microsoft one bit... Now be aware, there are only a few windows games and programs that will work with Linux. But there are many Linux games to choose from, and again, free. If I can be of further help contact me by e-mail through Yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment