Monday, June 6, 2011

Can someone tell me how to change the starting OS (the one that is first highlighted) in GRUB?

I am dual booting Ubuntu and Vista and I changed the autostart boot in GRUB to the line Vista was on. I recently installed an Ubuntu update that added another memtest to the OS list in GRUB. However, I do not remember how to get to the file to change it back to Vista as the autostart. I don't want to change the order of the list just the one it starts on. Can someone tell me how to find the file and fix this?Can someone tell me how to change the starting OS (the one that is first highlighted) in GRUB?
1. Boot Ubuuntu.



2. Open a terminal.



3. cd /boot/grub



4. sudo gedit menu.lst



Enter your password when prompted. menu.lst is the menu file for Grub.Can someone tell me how to change the starting OS (the one that is first highlighted) in GRUB?
sudo gpedit /boot/grub/menu.lst



The menu.lst file is where you change what is in the boot menu.
Using a GUI text editor on an important system file like this is just WRONG. (This is with regards to the people above me telling you to use gpedit)



Open a terminal and type the following:

sudo su

nano -w /boot/grub/menu.lst



Scroll down to the bottom and rearrange the order of the blocks into the order you want them to be displayed. Make sure to grab the entire block, like this:



title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-1-amd64

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-amd64 root=UUID=330dd97e-e29a-4d65-948c-147aa9?ro

initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-amd64





Use ctrl+k to cut lines and ctrl+u to paste them. Ctrl + X to quit and save the file.
  • advice on writing
  • cat
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment